Wednesday 8 January 2014

Day 008: Reptile at the end of the line, oh yeah

When I was a student at Pt Chevalier Primary School, we would sing songs at our school assembly...the New Zealand national anthem was one of them, naturally, but the others were folk songs like Mrs Murphy's chowder or popular classics like The Beatles' Here comes the sun. A song that's been on my mind a lot lately is the New Zealand folk song Tuatara Blues, a song whose lyrics I'm not 100% confident I know exactly, as I was short-sighted and could not see the OHP of the lyrics properly.

The lizard in today's photograph is not a tuatara; tuataras are native to New Zealand, and can only be found outside of New Zealand in zoos or reptile houses.  The pictured lizard is instead a water dragon, one of the many that roam the grounds of my university's campus. But the sight of him chilling out today was enough to get me thinking about the Tuatara Blues, which made for a pleasant afternoon of singing and humming as the tune insinuated itself in my psyche.

No comments:

Post a Comment