Monday 6 January 2014

Day 006: Breaking the spell

This afternoon I heard the wind pick up after a week of still air and sigh-like breezes; I glanced out the window and watched as the golden cane palms by the pool bent their heads before the gale that swept across the property. Clouds black as thunder stretched across the sky, masking the sun and casting an eerie stormish glow.

As I called my mum at work to warn her of the approaching storm, I hastened to shut the doors and windows, then ran down to the forest to collect the candles from the dark moon ritual last night, the ones that had been too hot to carry up to the houss and instead had been left in safe-keeping to one of the grand old pines. Raindrops that had been a sparse pitter-pat on my trip down began to fall more quickly as I raced back to the house; lightning and thunder stirred the sky, and I anxiously thought of the woman who had been struck by lightning while listening to her iPod while watching a storm from her deck, and resolved not to be the woman who was struck by lightning while on her phone as she ran to her house.

Once safely in the house, I traded my phone for my Canon G9 Powershot and exited the house, standing on my deck and taking picture after picture of the storm clouds as they raced overhead (neing the woman struck by lightning while photographing the storm from her deck worried me, but not enough to stop).
Eventually, I noticed that the light in my room had gone dark; we had lost power. Since my camera lacks internet capability, this post will feature a phone photo of the viewscreen of my camera. Tomorrow, I'll upload a proper photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment